In the last class in the summer we are study about American proverb. According to wikipiedia, “proverb is a simple and concrete saying popularly known and repeated, which expresses a truth, based on common sense or the practical experience of humanity. They are often metaphorical. A proverb that describes a basic rule of conduct may also be known as a maxim. If a proverb is distinguished by particularly good phrasing, it may be known as an aphorism.
Proverbs are often borrowed from similar languages and cultures, and sometimes come down to the present through more than one language. Both the Bible (Book of Proverbs) and medieval Latin have played a considerable role in distributing proverbs across Europe, although almost every culture has examples of its own.”
there are some common American proverb we often use everyday. some of them is a very popular and I can find similar proverb in my country (indonesia)
1. Blood is thicker than water
2. Like father, like son.
3. No pain, no gain.
4. Absence makes the heart grow fonder
5. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush
6. Variety is the spice of the life
7. There is no shortcut to success.
8. Home is where is the heart is
9. There is no smoke without fire
10. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence